Thursday, March 13, 2008

College

I get asked a lot, "How's college". More and more lately I'm finding it harder to answer. Why? Because the answer isn't a straightforward, "fine" or "horrible". Parts of it are fine, parts of it aren't.

Overall, I'm not a big fan of college. I had to spend two years studying things I'll never remember. Science and math mainly. I took statistics last semester and cannot even begin to tell you what I learned in that class. I don't like math and really see no point in learning statistics. Admittedly, my astronomy classes were interesting, and so was my Environmental Science class. However again, I don't remember what I learned. Not because I didn't try, but because I didn't continue to use it.

A few semesters ago I had a class on American Government that was amazing. It was probably one of the hardest classes I have ever taken, and yet one of the best. I learned so much in the class and as hard as it was, I still made and A. The reason was the fact that the teacher made the subject interesting and relevant. I wish over and over I could be taking that class again right now as our country goes through such fascinating political changes. Yet still as interesting as it was, two years later I can't remember everything because I didn't use it.

Admittedly I do not have the best memory, but I still think some classes are really un-needed. If I'm pursuing a BA, why do I need so many math and science credits?

This semester I'm at a new college facing different challenges. Moving from a tiny community college to Georgia State University was a bit of a shock. From one small campus that you could see easily, to a campus spread all over downtown Atlanta. Talk about different!

I hate do say "I don't like college" and people get the idea I dislike GSU or I dislike learning. The fact is as a campus, I do like GSU. I've gotten used to it and really enjoy the environment. I have a lot of things available to me, I can walk all over downtown. I love the city.

And as for the learning bit, I enjoy learning relevant things. Ask anyone who's known me for awhile and they can tell you whenever I find something I'm interested in, I find out as much information about as possible. I check out tons of books from the library, do tons of internet research... I love finding out about my favorite places, activities and people. College sometimes provides those opportunities to find out really neat stuff. I really appreciate all the things I learned in my Features and Creative writing classes as well as my Brit Lit II and World Lit II classes. And now in my Intro to PR class. But all those others?

Especially two I'm taking at the moment. Intersections of Diversity and Mass Comm Research. The first one has a not so great teacher. I think the material is interesting, but its not fun spending time in a class where your teacher has a very obvious bias against Christianity. And no knowledge about it beyond what the media has thrown out. The latter one is all about research online etc... things I already know how to do. Made me wish there was a way to test out of it, but alas, there isn't.

So how's college? It's college. Its fun, boring, great, terrible, I hate it, I love it. Though I think most of the time I could do with out it... but every once in awhile some class comes along that makes it worth it.

I'm looking forward to next semester. (meaning fall, not summer because I'm dreading my summer classes) I get to dig more into my PR classes, and my minor classes (Event Planning) as well as electives. Though again I don't see the point of these electives. I have to take 5 extra classes that don't have to do anything with my major or minor if I don't want them too. Sometimes I really wonder, "what's the point"?. I wish there was more of a technical school for things. Just go, learn about what your doing and maybe a few extra classes, but don't spend so much time going over things you will probably never use again.

No comments: